The travel diaries: Japanese Impressions part 3

This has got to be the most physically challenging thing I have done so far.
Sports aren't my thing and yet I thought "Let's do this". My friends were crazy enough to agree and the four of us set out to climb Mount Fuji.

That's right. Climb. Mount Fuji. At 3,776m, it is Japan's tallest mountain.
We didn't hike all the way, we started around 2,000m but it was a real challenge.



 Of course, Albus tagged along.


 It took us 8hrs to reach the summit and witness a trully beautiful sunrise. Cheers to the Chinese ladies who told us to turn around and witness it at the perfect moment!



Contemplating my surroundings and realising I had made it to the top.


 These are all unedited photographs. Yes, the morning light made them too bright but I wanted to show you all how it looked, just as close to the real deal as possible.

Funny thing: as Albus was posing for the pictures, a group of Japanese people came by and saw him and said "AAAH, Dumberedoru" (Dumbledore said in a japanese accent). I couldn't help but laugh and to this day we still laugh when we recall this.

As sure as we climbed aaaall the way up, we had to climb all the way down! Took us 4hrs to do so and few more pictures!


Ice. Ice at the top. Mid august. Ice.


I don't know what is it about this image, but I get such a strong sense of peace just looking at it.


 This was a very intense experience, at least for me. Did I think about quitting the hike? Yup.
Was I super proud when I reached the top? You bet.
Would I do it again? HELL NO!!

That said: we didn't hike all the way up, no stops. We booked a night at one of the huts, Taishikan, and it was amazing. If you're planning a trip to Japan and considering climbing Mt. Fuji, here are some tips:

- book a night at one of the huts in advance (some even have vegetarian meals available if you request it)
- bring winter clothes for the night and early morning: leg warmers, a beanie, gloves, scarf, winter jacket
- pack tons of water, snacks
- bring a flashlight
- hiking sticks are a good idea



We caught a bus and train back to Tokyo to collect our suitcases and then boarded another train to what would easily become my favorite city in Japan.


This? This was our dinner at the train station when we reached our destination. Seriously, ramen is the best!!



M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Universal

5 fashion things having a job has taught me

Colour wishes